Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ms. Beff & Mr. Jonafan

After the excitment of painting, having Jim & Dotty here, strawberry picking & picnicing, the fun didn't stop there. Charlie returned home Monday night, Jim & Dotty left Tuesday morning & Wednesday I woke up with the stomach flu. Yes friends, there is nothing like topping off a weekend of hard work with continuous vomiting. Thankfully, I got better just in time to have more visitors! Beth & Jonathan, who were the Maid of Honor & Best Man in our wedding made the long trip from Tennessee to spend Memorial Day Weekend with us. And what a weekend it was! Charlie & I can not remember the last time we laughed so much! After a few minutes of shyness the kids took to Beth & Jonathan as if they had known them for years. I guess they figured anyone that can make that many noises with their mouth must be cool, huh Jonathan?! We attempted to take the kids to the beach during their visit but while I was loading the car it began raining. We could handle a drizzle no problem, however the temperature also dropped at least 10 degrees in the 20 minutes I was loading. Which again, would have been okay if it had been 100 degrees to begin with. All of a sudden we were scrambling for jeans & sweaters. We drove to Wilmington hoping to catch better weather but no luck their either. We loaded out of the car, everyone changed into real clothes (as opposed to the bathing suits we were still wearing with hopeful anticipation) & began to explore downtown Wilmington. I believe we got about .1 miles & yes, it started to rain again. I'm not very spontaneous to begin with so this is where I had my fill. We drove around & finally found a spot to picnic. We happened to be right next to some museum & so we headed in. We had drove all that way and dang-it we were going to do something. It didn' take long & we were all tired & ready for home. Beth & I were able to get in a trip into town, childless! And Charlie & Jonathan hit the shooting range for an afternoon of testosterone. We cooked out, we laughed, we ate, we laughed, we played cards, we laughed, we watched kids, we laughed. Having them here reminded us how much we truly miss home. Can you come back guys, we've not laughed nearly as much with you gone!


The closest thing we got to the beach on our trip to Wilmington!


Where is him/her? Do you want to play trucks/trains/tractors/tea party/dollhouse/etc? Beth, will you stop picking yellow?! Sorry, it's the only card I had. Jonathan, stop apologizing. Draw two. Stirring the brew. Don't worry you can make it up later. Charlie, how can you have that many cards & still win? Where are all the good lamps in this town? He hauled off how many Vienna Sausage cans? The color is yellow. Beth stop it! Ppfft. MMmmm, Diet Dr. Pepper. Wow, that's some sweet candy. What color is this Jonathan?

Beth & Jonathan, we love you guys & miss you!

4 comments:

EricaKerns said...

Awe fun! How far are you from Hatteras Island, NC?

Beth and Jonathan said...

We had so much fun! I can't wait until we can get together again...we'll host you guys next time if you want. We miss you guys, too! Good luck finding the lamps...and did I mention that the color is yellow?

Barb said...

Erica,

You will be about 4 1/2 hours away from us. I thought there would be a more direct route but unless I can figure out how to make my van hydroplane it's roughly 4 1/2 hrs! :)

Barb said...

Beth,

We'll take you up on your hosting the next get together!!! We're hoping maybe when he gets back we'll be able to make a trip to C'ville. Still no luck finding lamps, maybe if I was looking for yellow ones it would be easier! :)Draw two!