Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Birthday Emma!

Yesterday our little pumpkin turned 4. It is with her we entered the wonderful world of parenthood. I felt for those first few month that my main objective was just to keep her alive. What a scary time that was. Now she is this bright, fiesty, energetic, loving four year old. I was told many times how quickly time flies when your children are young; but I could never fully appreciate those statements until now as I'm in the midst of my childrens' years flying by. It's exciting & sad all at the same time.

On Thursday we spent the morning running errands with Emma's best friend Mya & her mom & brothers. Afterwards we were supposed to enjoy a picnic & play at the park but the chilly weather did not permit us to do that. So instead we ended up at Chick-fil-A where the kids had just as much fun.

On Saturday Emma woke up to find her presents on the table. I picked up a princess marker/stamp kit while at Disney & filled a colorful butterfly box with card making supplies. Emma was in heaven. But not before she first proceeded to open her marker set & without uttering another word handed me all of the Jasmine markers with the exclamation that she was not modest. You see dad & I have agreed that any princess who is not fully clothed will not be something she is allowed to play with. We've explaind scripturally what modesty is & what God requires. We were quite surprised when it didn't take months to comprehend as I assumed it would but rather moments. She is actually quite passionate in her conviction & it touched my heart that she never once complained to turn those markers over to me. It saddened me though because they were 3 purple ones, her favorite color. So creativity struck as I borrowed stickers out of her kit, covered Jasmine's exposed stomach & now we have 3 modest purple markers/stamps. An example of how her maturity in some areas amazes me. She is an amazing little girl & I am so thankful that the Lord blessed us with the honor of raising her.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

This post brought tears to my eyes as I remembered the night Emma was born!! What a beautiful experience and how blessed and honored Rafe and I felt to be a part of such a significant event in your lives. It's been such a gift to be able to watch her grow over the years... from the time she was a tiny baby and you entrusted me to watch her until now. I remember changing Emma's diaper and you coming home from a date with Charlie and I was telling you what a genius she was because she was "helping" me change it and how she could put her own arms in her jammies and she was so young! I look back and think how goofy I must have sounded but I was truly astounded at what she could do so young.

Ok, this is turning into a novel so I'll stop. I have great memories of all the kids, but a very special place is in my heart for Emma.

Laurie said...

By the way, I also meant to say that I love the whole modesty platform and am so impressed with her awareness and obedience in this area.