Monday, September 15, 2008

Let the (homeschool) games begin!

We took the leap, the dive, the plunge (however you choose to look at it) and have officially started homeschooling. I never realized how much of an arduous process just picking out the curriculum would be. I typed in "christian homeschool" & thought this would be a piece of cake. When over 16,000 matches came up I realized it was going to be a long process. It was very easy to rule out the very expensive homeschool academies. Then I got into the nitty gritty of things. I finally settled on Horizons from Alpha Omega publications & love it. In addition to being designed for homeschoolers it can be used in an actual pre-school setting. It's 185 days worth of 3 to 6 hours of daily school. Wow. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but have slowly began to navigate my way around it. We now have school for about an hour a day, broken up with play time with mom & snack, on Monday, Wednesday & Friday. I have a ton of things to daily choose from Bible, phonics, language arts, reading, writing, art, pe, social studies, science & the list goes on. Unfortunately niether mine or my childrens attentions spans do. So I'm thankful to be getting in the hour a day. Let the games begin!

2 comments:

Staci said...

Barbara,
Good luck and God bless you! It takes a special mom to homeschool. I will be excited to learn how it goes!

Karen said...

You know I do not have the patience or the brain power to homeschool so I bow to you O MIGHTY CRAFT GODDESS, CHEF EXTRORDINAIR ( I know I did not spell that right and I am not even sure if I was saying it out loud correctly either-haha see I could not teach)THREE CHILD BABY FACTORY, DEAR SWEET FRIEND O MINE
;-)