Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Flags

The American flag; "Old Glory"; "The red, white & blue." The American flag flying high evokes such patriotism. The flags were flying high on base today. One would think it's an everyday sight, but it's not. These flags line the entryway of base & just underneath were bright yellow ribbons. These are special flags. These flags represent proud Marines who are returning home from deployment. Husbands, fathers, sons, brothers or conversely wives, mothers, daughters, sisters. And sadly, these flags represent those who will not be returning home. Everytime I see these flags I get choked up, often times shedding a few tears. I think of the emotion of the wives, children & families of the Marines getting prepared for homecoming. "Will he like the new color I painted the kitchen? Will he notice I've lost a few pounds? Dear Lord, please let the children take to him immediately." As I looked at those flags with tears running down my face, I thought "I can't do this again." But as I listened to Mercy Me on the radio sing about God being our everything to us, such pride began to fill my heart. I can't do this, but He can. So once again I don on the "proud Marine wife" hat & remember why it is that right now his country needs him more than we do. And we will do this again. Ohh-rah.

3 comments:

kelli said...

You said it...those flags get me every time. Tristan asked me about them once and I couldn't even get words out to explain them to him.
Just remember that you have plenty of girl's nights out and evening walks and summer days watching our kids in the sprinklers ahead...we'll get through another one together!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb!! I love your blog! You make me want to start one. It's great to see the kids, especially Nathan and Emma as Thing One and Thing Two. I miss everyone up there very much. Beaufort is nice, but not a military town. It makes a huge difference; one I never realized until I left. I'll be back in a week or two for a visit. Rafe's in training there for 3 months, then a year deployment to Iraq. I hope to see you then!

Miss ya!
Laurie

EricaKerns said...

Yes, I was sad you weren't there. We talked about you though... and your blog. I don't think anyone knew you had 3 kids. Amy Thomen and I told the story about you having Nathaniel in the ambulance. :) And then I shared some recent "Erica Stories". I didn't get back to my hotel until 1am. The wedding was sweet and simple. Jen looked great and very happy. No tears! I haven't been back since I left! Over 5 years!! I felt like a horrible person. I forgot how much I missed everyone. We'll have to coordinate our visits next time so we can all hang out again.